Five popular massage therapies
There is nothing like a long and relaxing massage to help calm and soothe your nerves and aching muscles after an exhausting and stressful day. For centuries, massage therapy has been practiced and encouraged by doctors and therapists due to its amazing therapeutic and healing properties.
How does a massage work?
Any form of massage uses a set of techniques and methods of movement to manipulate the layers of muscles and connective tissues in the body. It involves working on the body either manually or mechanically, using different motions, while applying suitable amounts of pressure Massages techniques that are commonly recommended by doctors include acupressure, shiatsu, pediatric and medical massage. Some massages have their origin in certain countries like Thailand (Thai massage), Sweden (Swiss massage), Australia (Bowen therapy), Philippines (Hilot massage), and Hawaii (Lomilomi).
Popular massage therapies
Here are some popular types of massages in use today:
- Swedish massage - This is the most popular form of massage therapy in the United States. Here, therapists use long and gentle strokes, kneading and making circular movements on upper layers of muscle, using massage oils or lotions. This massage will leave you completely relaxed; maybe even put you to sleep.
- Aromatherapy massage - This massage therapy uses one or more scented plant oils, or any sweet fragranced oil, like lavender or jasmine, for specific purposes. The massage therapist chooses oils that are most relaxing, to decrease the person's stress levels.
- Hot Stone massage - Smooth, heated stones are either placed or used to apply pressure on certain points of the body to relax and loosen tight muscles, and relieve muscle tension. This is quite a popular massage technique in Canada, where the weather is perennially cold.
- Thai massage - This massage therapy uses gentle pressure on specific body points to align and balance the energies of the body. The therapist constantly moves and stretches you into various yoga postures. This massage relieves stress, improves flexibility and energizes you.
- Reflexology - This technique is essentially a foot massage, but is more complex as it involves applying pressure on certain nerve points in your feet that correspond to different parts of your body. This massage is perfect for anybody who is on their feet all day long or simply have aching feet.
So what are you waiting for? Book your massage appointment today and relieve, rejuvenate and revitalize your mind and body.